Praise for the First Edition:
"This is a very practical and easy to read book with many strategies to help new nurses adapt to the stressors of the workplace. It is filled with thought-provoking stories and activities that can foster confidence in tackling workplace issues as well as self-care activities to enhance wholeness and well-being....There is something in this book for everyone." Score: 96, 4 stars.
--DOODY'S MEDICAL REVIEWS
This unique resource will help nurses overcome stressors and challenges when--and even before-- they arise. Featuring seven new chapters and a multitude of new authors, the second edition reflects the latest research on resilience and well-being and applies it specifically to nursing professionals.
The book describes a diverse range of proactive and preventive approaches nurses can harness in a variety of healthcare contexts. These strategies help develop strength, flexibility, and the determination to adapt to professional challenges that may at first seem daunting. Strategies are presented to conquer self-defeating thoughts, connect with positive peers, and emulate positive leadership attributes. Chapters present first-hand accounts of "resilience in action" and extensive examples that showcase evidence-based resilience strategies, along with discussion questions, creative thinking exercises, and application activities.
New to the Second Edition:
- Strategies for adapting to constant change
- Managing moral and ethical distress
- Developing effective and creative solutions for global health challenges
- Restoring resilience, health, and well-being after adversity
- New leadership dynamics
- Moving out of one's comfort zone for personal and professional growth
- Includes activities that encourage readers to develop resilience capabilities as team leaders, team members, and change agents
- Highlights psychological and social resilience strategies
- Includes discussion questions and creative thinking exercises
- Supplemental instructor's manual and PowerPoints included